A Harness Bar and Seat Type and Belts and set ups... and WHY...

Mark

• Admin

Ok So you can shop used...

You can find some shops who redid them and charge you an arm and leg may as well contact a shop and ask how much to recover yours...

If your mechanical functions are all there great...

If you need to replace things start changing for ya to a degree...

First now you need to find out the exact measurements of your set up now...

You also need to see if you can remove and reuse anything like is there an angle cage built under your seat or is your seat a unimold kinda thing... only fits your car...  I made that word up to get my main point across...

Ok

So I would remove the front seats and the rears why the hell not... then Search for replacement seats and you can see a great number pop up with adapter kits for cages to mount any seat to to thin shitty ones to Im not driving grand prixx style ones...for two arms and a leg special...

Then you get into other things like do you think your going to flip over and go  under water?

why is that important...

Here are a few facts:

I could bore you for hours...

But to cut to the chase...

You have a couple options..

Stay Factory always Legal 100% and factory preserved value...

You could also DIE... using Factory over some of the improvements on accident prevention and protection...

Or you could Die using one for the wrong reason...

All different set ups require different circumstances to provide the proper and correct protection for you...

Ill cover a list of some of the most common ways to get protection the right way...

Oh and by all means feel free to research and discover what you want to believe and do, its all up to you and in your hands...

1) Factory seat Belts and options...

So you decided to stay factory... thats fine its a weekend rider thing classic and your cruising hell a lap belt is probably more than you would ever need then your fine this car is good for you and other than some freak accident you should be perfectly fine with the factory installed equipment...

Make sure its all in good service condition and not frayed or showing signs of wear that would make it possible to fail rather than protecting you... the aut lock feature works on shoulder strap yada yada yada...

2) Harness seats and Bars....

This one we see done a lot and its fine as long as you understand the mechanics of an accident...

(You do remember the crash test Dummies and all the commercials we see of smashing a car head on into another vehicle...)

Well all that data is why we know what we do and continue to make improvements moving forward...

Ask Dale Earnhart

So The biggest part to understand is bto too tricky at all as your body is flipping over inside with the vehicle your in your head and neck are angled the opposite direction... so if your car is about to flip over to the right your head is actually behind you a bit to the left so if the car were to land on its roof your head isnt directly under it where the main impact would be...its to the left of that spot...

If you were secured in a racing seat Four five or six point harness then your head would be in that exact same place as not the brint of the force of the flipping car is now going to land...

But just before it does you have a split second that you realize your about to roll over and the roof is going to take the direct blow...to wonder... Did I built the roll bar strong enough... if you did you dont end up with a broken neck...

If you didnt then you may die or worse survive and a vegetable...

What the number 1 mistake people who install racing seats with four way and five way harnesses they make your body so rigid and centered in a fixed position that unless you have re enforced steel cage around you your odds of getting injured or killed are actually increased...over if you simply left factory alone...

Now...

With that said... its up to you the decision is all yours to define and make and follow through with...

also a simple bolt in cage with bolts and screws isnt the same I dont care what anybody tells you...

Ask them for crush proof evidence and see what they say...

Can it be done sure... do they come like that now...NOPE...

Now here are a few other things to consider...

Submarine is to squish down in the seat by the force of the safety belt to a degree which it can cause a spinal injury...this usually is a result of 4 way harness that will permit your body to semi fold as it slides down towards the floor without restraint...

a 5 way harness has a strap up in between your legs that prevents this from occurring.... its also the type of impact that this can happen with... that matters... where you could basically come out of the harness vie where your legs are at ....

Also do some research in the type of quick release your buying some have been known to fail...in race cars for example there are a couple of brands that if your inverted upside down they dont release with dead weight on them with that force...

So if you thought you may end up inverted upside down and in a lake would you be concerned?

Things like those make a difference...now we all know if your riding in a jeep in racing four way harness seats and you dont have a cage bar directly over your head you are taking a risk where a normal seat belt may save your life over a pro seat that puts your head right in the path...

I opted for 4 way seat harnesses for my Trans Am I have not opted for them in my jeep...

I figure in my jeep the odds of me landing on the roof are greatly increased over the TA...

I also bought race quip harnesses and rear race cars run the same gear.

the rest Ill show ya know...for my particular set up I designed a different Harness bar and set of connections for the following reasons...

My seat belts were shit frayed old faded and looked like shit...

I decided I was getting new seats harness bar and belts...but not a cage...

I also figure I will ride slightly loosened but not where I can come out or anything...

Just not where I cant reach the dash like the first times when you harness up...lol

So Here we go factory seat belts...

image.png

Hell you can see a fray tear there now... you also can see the crease over time basically they arent safe...Im not stopping the run to the store until new ones come in but im hoping and planning my life doesnt depend on it either...

So now the harness bar...

So I paid like 152 for it somewhere. and everywhere I saw them mounted was on the back floorboard with the strap through the seat then straight down and I thought of submarine stuff. and I keep looking up thinking why not where my regular seat belts go... but how?

Plus I dont loose the use of the back seat and it also adds some strength to the T top section which I did pop one in the past for twisting up and the body went a little too far also...

DSCF0391.JPG

DSCF0392.JPG

DSCF0393.JPG

DSCF0394.JPG

DSCF0395.JPG

DSCF0396.JPG

DSCF0397.JPG

DSCF0398.JPG

DSCF0399.JPG

DSCF0400.JPG

DSCF0401.JPG

DSCF0402.JPG

DSCF0405.JPG

Here I go Again...

ezgiFlag-resize.gif

Mark@AmericanJeeper.us

• Admin

This baby bolts right up to the factory locations and I can remove them and install factory or leave them whatever...

🙂

this is how they look but I hated the cheap cipher seats I got so Swapped them out for some reall racing seats with memory foam and Ill be getting them covered in Camel tan leather later... 🙂

I use them more for the lap seat belt and to be somewhat legal... However any time you modify the factory stuff you break safety laws...

A cop may give you a nod or a ticket...

DSCF0529.JPG

DSCF0530.JPG

IMAG1180.jpg

I got the bar painted with TA so it matches outside Blue to the tee...

Here I go Again...

ezgiFlag-resize.gif

Mark@AmericanJeeper.us